Saturday 2 July 2011

Heathrow Airport - Wagamama..!?

So I landed at London-Heathrow, starving. The British Airways connection terminal reminds me of a high end shopping mall in HK. Big name department store (Harrod's), surrounded by your usual Burberry, Prada, Gucci, and LV stores. I -wanted- a wallet but needed a ramen, so I stopped by a Wagamama, a well known chain in London I had read about in some food blogs.

A Miso Ramen and a order of Duck Gyoza later, I was pretty disappointed. I'm fairly sure I would have been better off with a bag of Ichiban and some no-name-brand $3.95 frozen dumplings. The bland ramen broth was infused with chili oil and lacked any miso flavor whatsoever. It tasted a lot like the water you would throw out when making soy bean milk but like, spicy. Chicken was overcooked but the noodles were pretty spot on texturally.


The Duck Gyoza wasn't an improvement. Skin was really thick and although it came hot, quickly became lukewarm because it was served next to a dish of cold sauce. The meat stuffing tasted like the filling of a char siew bao. (Roast Pork Bun.) That's not so bad right? I don't know, duck that tastes like pork just doesn't appeal to me I guess. Least the peach iced tea was decent.

Always wondered who worked behind the scenes in English kitchens. I was half expecting a mixed Latino community like we have in New York but it seems that the kitchen was staffed primarily by South Asians.






No comments:

Post a Comment