Sunday 17 July 2011

Ming Yang - Chinese Restaurant and Pet Shop!?

So here goes, I've been here about 3 times so far and each time has been solid. Would I say it's the best Chinese food I've ever had? No. Is it good? Absolutely. The chef has had to adjust his recipes to account for the tastes of the local populace and that wavers a bit from my personal preferences of traditional Cantonese.

The cuisine served at Ming Yang can be identified as Canto but with lots of Sichuan influence. The ingredients have also been adjusted for local availability. The steamed fish can be had multiple ways but I always prefer the traditional preparation of ginger, scallion, soy sauce and hot oil. Huge note, this is about the only place in all of India that I have been able to find leafy green vegetables that are cooked but still intact.


Here's a tip, use Basmati Rice for fried rice from now on. The extraordinarily long grain, dryness, and separation of the rice makes bangin' fried rice. The Honey Glazed Chicken was honey dipped fried chicken slices with red chilis. Tasty but the chicken was sliced too thin causing it to eat like cracklins'. The below was a honey nut crunch ice cream served on a bed of lychees. Honey glazed cashews in rich and buttery Tahitian vanilla ice cream that melted to create a decadent sauce for the lychees.

Surprisingly, the Dim Sum here was on par if not, better than some of the places I've had in Chinatown and Toronto. That's a huge compliment from me. I am a hardcore dimsum snob and I do not like it when people screw with Dim Sum. Chef David To has made some subtle adjustments to update things into this century yet still retain that classic character. Black sesame seeds and sticky rice on Siu Mai brings some depth to a rather boring mainstay and the thinnest skinned Chicken Wor teep I've ever had can be ordered here. 

I didn't get any pictures because they serve them to you right out of the bamboo steamer but believe me. This was money dim sum.

So one day, my co-worker, Chris and I headed to Ming Yang for a much anticipated dinner. We were seated at a table next to a British lady dining alone. We exchanged greetings but our food arrived so the talking stopped and the eating began. The Brit had to eat by herself with no one to talk to when out of nowhere, the wait staff arrives with two goldfish to keep her company. Tonight I was afforded the same opportunity and named them Shah Jehan and Mumtaz Mahal after my recent trip to Taj Mahal.


No comments:

Post a Comment