Sunday 10 July 2011

Hidden Master Lost in India Too!?

So, on my first day in Mumbai, I was feeling rather lost and confused when I ran into another Chinese guy while I was getting off the hotel elevator He was in his early 50s and wearing plain clothes. You could instantly tell that both of us were shocked to see another Chinese guy in the hotel so we exchanged the "I wonder if he can understand me" word probes. You know, exchanging pleasantries in several dialects until you realize the guy has no clue what you're saying. Guy was thrilled to see another Canto speaker. He asks me, "Sik jor fahn may ah?" or have you eaten yet? I told him no, I just arrived and he goes, well there's a Chinese restaurant in this hotel. Maybe you can try it for dinner. 

On the left side of the picture, you can see a little pagoda entrance. That was Ming Yang, the restaurant the old dude told me about. I got settled in and went to take my "company allotted dining budget" (funny how sensitive the words expense account are for bankers now) for a spin. I walk into the restaurant, and there's the old dude, but this time, in his full head chef whites. Of course! Sat down to dinner and he hands me his credentials.


He's originally from Hong Kong and was offered an opportunity to head up his own kitchen in Dubai. After working several years there, he had apparently made a name for himself, (of which he still does not know how.) and suddenly an offer came in from the Regency in Mumbai to start up a restaurant here. When the Taj Hotel corporation took over, he stayed on.





Well, if you ever decide to visit Mumbai and want to use your.. allotment... in a place that's worth it, feel free to visit the Taj Land's End Ming Yang restaurant. Apparently, it's a famous spot in the area for Bollywood stargazing too. Oh, and of course, let David know Fat Dragon sent you. If you do visit, seriously, bring the guy some TVB or if you go with a group of three. set up a game of MJ. I'm pretty sure the brotha gets bored. I actually lent him my discs of 花花世界花家姐.


Oh and yes, the food review post is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment